This winter staple will warm your heart!
- 2T Fennel Seeds - Toasted & Ground
- 2T Coriander Seeds - Toasted & Ground
- 3ea Bay Leaves
- 1 ea Ham Hock
- Butter/Olive Oil (as needed)
- 4ea Lg. Yellow Onions - Rough Chop
- 3ea Lg. Jumbo Carrots- Rough Chop
- 2ea Celery Hearts - Rough Chop
- 4ea Lg. Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 2C Tomato Paste
- 1/2C Brown Sugar
- 2- #10 Cans San Marzano Style Tomatoes
- 3ea Dried Poblanos, Reconstituted & Veined (reserve water)
- 1C Orange Juice Concentrate
- 2Qts Vegetable Stock
- 2C Creme Fraiche
- 2B Fresh Basil - Chopped Fine
- 1B Fresh Thyme - Chopped Fine
Place ham hock, butter and/or olive oil in a large stock pot. On medium heat, add onions, carrots & celery and sweat until softened. Add garlic and saute a couple of minutes but do not brown. Add tomato paste and cook about 20 minutes, stirring vegetables and garlic throughout.
Add sugar, tomatoes, peppers, and pepper water along w/ orange juice & stock.
Reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes and check seasoning. Adjust if necessary, then add creme fraiche and take off the heat.
Using a blender or a hand stick blender, carefully puree all to soup consistency. Then stir in fresh herbs and serve. Yield about 2 gallons.
Serve hot w/ a dollop of creme fraiche or some of our grated cheddar and our homemade crostini.
Suggested Wine Pairing: 2014 Grenache Blanc